Hello! This is my blog. Read it already!

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Russia, Why?

Just some stuff:

The other day my coworker asked me if I am a pessimist or an optimist and I answered optimist. But then I admitted I'm afraid to have children because the world is so messed up, and I don't think that's a very optimistic thought. He responded, "Well, that's not pessimistic. That's neurotic." Agreed.

***

Might I suggest courting new friends with Mix CDs. It's better than having to answer the conversation-stopping question: "So, what kind of music do you like?"

From Christina to me, Fall '07:

The Moneymaker ~Rilo Kiley
Everyone Gets A Star ~Albert Hammond Jr.
Fell Down the Stairs ~Tilly and the Wall
The Well and the Lighthouse ~Arade Fire
On the Radio ~Regina Spektor
Phantom Limb ~Shins
Lay Your Head Down ~Keren Ann
Dress Up In You ~Bell and Sebastian
Shoreline ~Broken Social Scene
The Story ~Brandy Carlisle
Where Is My Mind ~Bobby Bare Jr.
Favorite ~Neko Case
True Love Way ~Kings of Leon
Evil ~Interpol
Nature and the Wreck ~Mates of State
I Feel It All ~Feist
My D*** Sux ~Giant Drag
Sea of Love ~Feist
Love and Longing ~StellaStarr*
Like a Prayer ~The Packway Handle Band
Hide and Seek ~Imogen Heap

From me to Xtina Winter '08:

Venus ~Frankie Avalon
The Opposite of Hallelujah ~Jens Lekman
Happy Go Lucky Me ~Paul Evans
John Brown ~Papercuts
Tears for Affairs ~Camera Obscura
The Start of Something ~Voxtrot
Momma's Boy ~Chromeo
Amour du Sol ~Yelle
Dirty Mind ~Pipettes
Mirro Kissers ~Cribs
The Don ~The View
Toothpaste Kisses ~Maccabees
Walk Away ~Franz Ferdinand
Starlett Johansenn ~Teenagers
Anorak Christmas ~Sally Shapiro
What's a Girl to do? ~Bat for Lashes
Rich Girls ~Virgins
I'm a Realist ~Cribs
Time Stands Still ~Cut Copy
Ice Cream ~New Young Pony Club
Lloyd, I'm Ready to be Heartbroken ~Camera Obscura
Jessica ~Adam Green
Supertramps and Superstars ~Simple Kid

p.s. lists are boring but I can't resist sharing anyway.

***

When I read people's blogs, I skim over a lot of the words. Unless the writing grabs me from the start, I skim skim skim and focus on images instead. I think I have definitely changed over the past five years when I was once, a long time ago, a patient reader.

I know, we've been over this before. But in case you're that type of person too, here are some images to focus on:
















***

If you made it this far, check out this cabinet of curiosities: English Russia. Man does Russia have some strange aesthetics.

1 comment:

Pixie said...

I have a secret about one of the musicians on your second mix cd. Did I ever tell it to you?

My photo
email: mishka.frances at gmail dot com.

Blog Archive